Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Electric Vehicle Test Drive

Work had an Electric Vehicle showcase today. We got to test drive a handful of the EV's on the market or almost on the market like:
Nissan Leaf,
Chevy Volt,
Coda(new company that only makes EVs),
Ford, 
Mitsubishi

Pretty sweet. I was surprised at the pickup some of them had, how they handled, and the range they said they could get. They withstood a full day of test drives around the course they had setup.

There was also a presentation on the business case for EVs that was interesting. There are a lot of unknowns, how high gas prices will get (assuming the will continue to rise), if the power grid will be able to flux to meet the demand, etc . The figure that I hadn't considered before and surprised me the most was the expected resell value of EVs and the expected decrease in maintenance costs, due to fewer moving parts.





 Parking lot of the future?
Assuming EVs catch on it will be interesting to see how markets change and evolve to adapt. It could potentially be a really big shift, I wonder if it's too big to really get EVs off the ground or if there is enough momentum to really make it happen. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. I loved all the information. Very interesting. Gregg and I would have loved to test drive these cars. When we were in California a few weeks ago one of the malls we went to had front roll parking for electric cars complete with shade/weather covers and big plugs so they could recharge there cars. Gregg can't wait to drive an electric car!